This is one of our favorite recipes for any time of year but it’s especially great for Christmas because you can mix it up ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it. In fact, it tastes even better if you do! You can use any kind of bread for this recipe (except rye bread or savories).
We’ve used dinner rolls, Italian bread, even biscuits. But you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven when you make it with King’s Hawaiian Bread!
- 1 loaf King’s Hawaiian Bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup Pecan Pieces
- 1 cup Raisins
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Melted butter
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Bourbon (for a stronger bourbon taste, replace some of the milk with bourbon)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs well.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and add to eggs, mixing well.
- Add butter, milk, heavy cream, vanilla and bourbon and mix well.
- Pour liquid ingredients over bread mixture and toss until well coated.
- Pour into a casserole dish or cake pan sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours (or overnight is even better).
- Bake at 325 degrees until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. (Approx. 25 mins.)
Warm Bourbon Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (Or MORE!)
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. (Caution: When this starts to boil it will “grow” so make sure you use a medium saucepan or you’ll end up with a mess.) Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Serve warm. Caution: Do not boil longer than specified or the ingredients will separate.