It’s no secret that The Happy Couponers like their chocolate and cookies and candy and, well, why even bother going on? Let’s just say “sweets” and call it a day, shall we?
We’ve also made no secret of the fact that we have a stockpile of Betty Crocker Cake Mixes (that we got for 25 cents each!) and we’re always looking for fun things to do with ’em.
And let’s not forget about the fact that one of our favorite recipes of all times is our Betty Crocker Cake Mix Donuts recipe. Booya!
Put that all together and whaddya got?
Our world-famous Devil Dogs recipe using… what else? Betty Crocker Cake Mix! (and Hershey’s Chocolate Spread) (Two of our favorite things in the whole wide world, topped only by Miller Lite and Bloody Mary Mix!)
We’re gonna share our recipe with you but first we need to tell you about the pan we used…
We make a lot of donuts here at The Happy Couponer Household and our donut pans weren’t the best quality and if there’s one thing we certain of it’s this:
If you’re gonna make a lot of donuts you need a good pan! Otherwise they stick and they fall apart and they’re all icky-looking.
For this recipe we used the Wilton Donut Twist Pan we picked up at Amazon. Even though it says it’s non-stick we didn’t believe it. Until, that is, we tried it. Voila! Perfect twist donuts every time!
OK. Here’s the recipe:
Devil Dogs Recipe
The Donuts – Ingredients
- One Betty Crocker Cake Mix (We used the SuperMoist German Chocolate mix for this recipe)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine (slightly cooled)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray donut pans with non-stick pan spray.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix until smooth. (We just mixed by hand but you could use a mixer set on medium speed.)
- Fill cavities 2/3 full
- Bake approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and cake is firm to the touch
- Remove from pans and let cool
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3-5 tablespoons hot water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the Crisco until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons of water and mix slowly until moist.
- Mix at high speed until light and fluffy, adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time until filling reaches desired consistency.
After they’ve cooled, slice each twist in half lengthwise and apply a generous layer of filling and put the tops back on.
Heat Hershey’s Chocolate Spread in microwave for about 30 seconds until melted. Stir well and pour over tops of Devil Dogs, allowing to drip down the sides.
Top with sprinkles for a bit of color.
Yield: 9 Devil Dogs