Ya know those fudgey cookies made by the little elves that live in a tree? These are soooo much better! Homemade sandwich cookies always look so complicated, but when they show up on your holiday cookie tray they make YOU look like a star. This recipe is so easy you’ll want to try all kinds of variations. But first, let’s look at the basics. Ingredients
- 1 18-oz. roll Pillsbury Refrigerated Sugar Cookie Dough
- (Get a coupon for $1 off Pillsbury Refrigerated Cookie Dough HERE)
- 1 bar (3 1/2 to 4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from wrapper and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Cut centers out of half the cookies using a 1-inch round cookie cutter.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Place bittersweet chocolate and butter in small heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, unntil chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.
- Spread chocolate over flat sides of cookies without holes and immediately top with a cutout cookie.
- Place milk chocolate chips in resealable food storage bag; seal bag. Microwave on medium 1 minute. Turn bag over and microwave for 30 seconds more. Knead bag until chocolate is smooth.
- Cut small corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over sandwich cookies. Let stand until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- Makes about 16 sandwich cookies
- Use Pillsbury Refrigerated Gingerbread Cookie Dough and fill with cream cheese icing
- Use different colored icings to liven up your cookie tray
- Use Pillsbury Refrigerated Peanut Butter Cookie Dough and fill with crunchy peanut butter
- After you drizzle the chocolate, sprinkle on some finely chopped pecans or colorful sprinkles
- Fill with Nutella