Most everyone is familiar with sausage gravy and a lot of people have even heard of hamburger gravy or coffee gravy or even flour gravy. But you have to have a little bit of Appalachia in you to have heard of Chocolate Gravy and those who have will tell you – it’s about as close to Heaven as you can get.
Sound a little… unusual? Well, a good recipe for Chocolate Gravy is a must for any cook living in Appalachia or the Deep South and here in Berea you’ll find several variations. Prized recipes have been passed down from grandmothers to mothers to daughters for generations and those secrets are hard to come by unless you have connections.
So it’s not surprising that you haven’t heard of this wonderful breakfast gravy. What IS surprising though is that you’re still sitting here reading this when you COULD be in the kitchen whipping up your own batch of this heavenly treat!
Chocolate Gravy Recipe Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In small, heavy saucepan combine cocoa, flour and sugar and mix well
- Add ¼ cup of milk to saucepan and whisk until all lumps are removed
- Stir in remaining milk
- Heat over medium heat until mixture starts to boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching
- Serve immediately over crumbled biscuits
- Yields approximately 2 ½ cups of chocolate gravy
- Can be store, refrigerated, and served cold, too
Biscuits For easy preparation on those mornings when everyone is in a hurry, use canned bicuits. Just pop them in the oven and they’ll bake while you’re preparing the gravy. Get a coupon for Pillsbury Homestyle Buttermilk Grands! here.